Jesus did say, “He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad” (Matt 12:30). Are we gathering with Christ or are we against Him? The purpose of the church is to “proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light” (1 Pet 2:9). When should we gather via evangelism — at work, with friends, or visitors in the church building?
What does the world need to know about Christ? Are we as Christians ready to spread the Gospel? Do we have tracts at hand and verses in mind? Are we prepared at all times to present the Truth?
Here were some points to consider increase our evangelism:
* Be an example, a shining light (Matt 5:16). Pray with unbelievers in their distress (Acts 27). Love your enemies. Do good, bless, & pray for them (Luke 6:27-28).
* Talk about your Christian life (Acts 22, 26). Ask others about their beliefs. Tell others how you became a Christian. First learn to talk to other Christian; second talk to weak Christians and third speak to unbelievers.
* Seek ways to spread the Truth. Participate in community forums & actions (Acts 2-4, 13, 17). Post the Truth in public places & the internet. Give away tracts & other writings.
* Plant & water, but remember that God gives the increase (1 Cor 3:6-8).
Remember essential teachings and scriptures that we need to use to teach others. These include teaching about:
* The cost of being a Christian (Luke 9:22-26),
* The true identity of Christ and the truth of His Word (Col 1:15-23),
* How Jesus is the cure for sin including being raised with Christ from baptism (Eph 2:1-7, Col 2:12-13), and
* The distinctive character of the church in contrast to man-made churches (Acts 2:37-47).
Here are a few essential characteristics of the church of Christ:
* Jesus is the Founder, the Head, & the Owner of the church (Matt 16:18, Acts 20:28, Eph 1:22-23).
* The church loves one another & all (John 13:35, Gal 6:10), and yet the church exposes evil (Eph 5:11).
* Elders are pastors, who oversee & manage the congregation (Titus 1:5, 1 Pet 5:1-3).
* The church partakes of the Lord’s Supper every 1st day of the week (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor 11:17-34).
* The church assembles to learn, pray, sing, & give (1 Cor 14, 16:1-2).
* The church proclaims the Gospel (Mt 12.30, Eph 3:10-11, 1 Pet 2:9).